Contractor Education Requirements

Since Jan 1, 2008, contractors and remodelers have been required to obtain the Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Credential in order to pull building permits in Wisconsin.

Remember, you must complete your continuing education requirements at least 3 months prior to the renewal date of your Dwelling Contractor Qualifier credential!

If you need to take the 12 credit "new builder" series to earn your Qualifier Credential or need Continuing Education Credits, the WI Dept of Safety & Professional Services lists sources available throughout the state. Below are sources that are WI DSPS-approved, and you can complete without leaving your home or office!:

  • The Metropolitan Builders Association is offering their DSPS-approved 12-credit "new builder" course and other continuing education online. More information is available HERE.
  • Through its Foundation, WBA proudly offers 24/7 access to continuing education credits for the State of WI Dwelling Contractor Qualifier Credential.

To find other WI Dept of Safety & Professional Services-approved continuing education courses, click here.

Lead Safe Renovator Requirements

As of April 22, 2010, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services along with the EPA is requiring those involved in renovations in homes built before 1978, disturbing more than 6 square feet per room of interior space or more than 20 square feet of exterior space to have Wisconsin Lead-Safe Renovator certification.  This includes remodeling, repair, rehab, weatherization, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, window refinishing or replacement, carpentry etc. To learn more, visit

Anyone who is paid to perform work that disturbs potential lead-contaminated surfaces is subject to this rule!

Courses are available throughout the state, offered by WBA, Lake States Environmental, and others. Check their websites or the WI Dept of Commerce for course schedules, prices and availability.

General Membership Meeting Education Topics

Please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions for future education topics.

Follow-up & Resources

OSHA Fall Protection Information :
Click for OSHA's Construction eTool page on Falls

DOT Information:
For information on who needs a DOT number, who needs a CDL, who needs a medical card, etc. visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's site,

Member-Hosted Meetings

If your company would like to sponsor a General Membership Meeting, please download HNBA's policy and agreement form and submit no less than 6 months prior to the date of the meeting you would like to sponsor.

Right to Cure

Builders and Remodelers: make sure you're handing out the Right to Cure brochure with each contract you enter into with a homeowner!